Broward Organized Leaders Doing Justice (BOLD Justice) is an organization of religious congregations throughout Broward County which are working together to solve critical community problems. We are not a service provider, but a grassroots, direct action, multi-issued organization, which has come to be a powerful force for improving the quality of life in our community.
Learn more about Bold Justice by visiting their website:
BOLD Justice Website
Every week we practice faith and mercy, but on
Monday, March 27th, WE DID JUSTICE at the Nehemiah Action Assembly!
Over 1300 people gathered with us to ask for justice for:
Seniors ~ mentally ill ~ kids with arrest records
Seniors: Memorial Hospital, John Knox Village, and Broward County Property Appraiser Marty Kiar agreed to create a study group to identify funding and land for a high quality Nursing Home serving low-income seniors
Juvenile Arrest: We asked you to call our state legislators to get our Civil Citation bill on the agenda- and it worked! One week after the Action, the bill passed unanimously through it’s 4th committee. There are 2 more committees before the final vote! Stay tuned to save 9,000 kids from an arrest record!
Mental Health: Broward County Sheriff’s Office agreed to propose $100,000 in their 2018 budget to expand training for officers on how to deal with the mentally ill
The BOLD Justice team
has been busy working on the issues that have been voted on by the members. The Seniors Committee to help improve the living conditions of seniors in assistant living and nursing homes. You are welcome to attend and help on the working committees as shown below.
Abuse of Seniors
The Problem: Broward County residents of long-term care facilities are being abused and neglected
- From 2011 to early 2014, 350 different Assisted Living Facilities in the county were cited for dangerous violations by the Agency for Healthcare Administration (AHCA).
- Fines for Assisted Living Facility violations from July 2013 to June 2014 total over $70,000.
- Broward residents looking for a safe long-term care facility for their loved ones have very few options
BOLD Justice’s Solution
- The Green House model of assisted living facilities improves the quality of care and reduces life-threatening violations.
- It is a self-contained home for 10-12 people. In this kind of facility, residents get more direct contact with caregivers reducing transfers to the hospital.
- The Broward Housing Authority has the authority to pull together stakeholders to get a Greenhouse built
Mental Health Committee
The Problem:1/3 of the people in Broward County jails are suffering from mental illness.
- Since 2003 the jail population in Broward County has declined by 12%, but the number of people with mental illness in jail has nearly doubled
- In Broward County, it costs $130 / day to keep people with a mental illness locked up
- Jail is not the best place to keep people who are mentally ill. It is expensive and ineffective.
BOLD Justice’s Solution.
- BOLD Justice got the Sheriff to commit to train all 2,800 of his officers in Crisis Intervention Teams Training (CIT) within the next 4 years
- CIT is a 40-hour training for officers to learn skills for approaching Mentally Ill Suspects and alternatives to incarceration
- It reduces injuries for both suspects and officers
Want to learn more or get additional information? Contact a Team Leader below.